i’m a few days late, but thought i’d join Vicki Welsh’s real studio tour, you know, how our studio’s look for REAL! not like those pimped up studios in the magazines.
i have purchased those magazines for several years now, and in the beginning, i really liked them. but the last few issues have been a huge disapointment. the magazines have become more about creative photography and fancy, high end studios than about real working studios and sharing ideas to help make the most of your space and creative ideas.
this week we are to share a favorite non-traditional, not quilting tool. i had trouble picking just one, so i’ll be sharing 3.
first up–the lowly binder clip.
love these things so much that i have them in 3 different sizes. papa bear clip, mama bear clip and baby bear clip. i like to use them to hold groups of things together, like fabric samples ready for dyeing.
next up–basic index cards.
dyed sample fused to index card
i prefer the 4X6 size so i can have plenty of room. here i’ve fused some dyed fabric samples to the cards and they will eventually get the dye formula written on them and filed in my dye reference file.
and the final favorite–my IKEA hanging dryer. great for hanging my soda and alum soaked fabrics to dry. each dryer has 16 clips and i have at least 5 dryers. you can see a few of the others. that’s a lot of fabric hanging in a small area.
it was a little difficult to get a decent picture of this–my back room is very narrow.
not much time in the studio this week. the weather was so nice and cool i spent all week finishing up some gardening projects from the summer.
but i did manage to find a few minutes for some stitching. while cleaning out a closet, i found this little leaf design i made several years ago.
i made this by inking the back of a leaf and printing it on white paper. then i traced over it, enhancing it to make it more graphic. i’ve used this design several times–enlarged and screen printed on a pillow. and this is the same design, enlarged again that i used in the DIY discharge paste post.
thought it might be fun to see if i could stitch it. and it was. will definitely be doing more of these.
i decided to stitch it continuous here without breaking the stitching.
and they are side by side
printed and stitched leaf
after thinking about the many different ways to finish this piece, i decided to keep it simple. so i simply satin stitched around the edges and plopped it a black frame. love it.
i’m calling it fire planet. i see planets suspended in a fiery liquid atmosphere. above is the vertical orientation.
and the horizontal orientation. not sure which i like best. which do you like best.
well, last week i spent some time working on a few pieces and finished the free motion stitching on several dye and marbled pieces. sometimes i have trouble deciding how to stitch the marbled pieces without detracting from the marbling. one of the first pieces i marbled, i stitched in a wavy grid and really loved how the grid played off the organic shapes of the marbling.
dyed, marbled and stitched
other than a few issues with some thread buggers, i’m happy with the results. although i think next time i will leave even more space between the lines and see how i like it.
so i fell back on what i loved and again stitched in a wavy grid, only this time leaving more space between the lines.
wavy grid stitching
now, to decide how to finish them. not to fond of binding or facings. i usually finish off by satin stitching over rattail cord, but not sure if that is how i want to finish these. need to research other options.
found some time to do more thread work. i noticed a little pear on some paper towels and thought it would be fun to thread sketch.
so, i dug out another scrap of ghost marbling and started stitching.
thread sketched pear
a little wonky, but not to bad. although i should have added a shadow at the bottom to ground it. kinda floating there on the fabric.
thread sketching close up
hopefully i can get some more practice time in again soon.